Finding out if you qualify

You can use our Benefits - Online Calculators to work out if you are eligible to claim and to establish how much you could be entitled to. 

How do I make a claim?

You can apply for Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support at the same time using the following methods:

  • Online by completing the following claim form, Apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support
  • Telephone - we offer a call back service to complete your claim.  All you need to do is contact our Customer Service Centre on 01268 533333 if you would like to apply and we will assist you with this.
  • In person - you can visit us in the Basildon Centre to go through your claim form in person by using one of our Computers in Reception. 

You may be issued a penalty of up to £70 if you fail to report a change in your circumstances within one month of the change.

To support your claim we will need to see documents as proof of identify and evidence of your circumstances. The form tells you what information we need in each section and you will be required to provide these before your application can be considered.  

If you are self-employed

If your are self employed you must complete the Self-employed earnings form before your claim can be considered.

Security Notice:

Basildon Council may send you a text message requesting further information to support your claim. The sender ID will always appear as BasildonCNL. You will never be asked to respond to the text with information. We advise that all information is sent over using our Contact Us Benefit Form  where possible.