Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licences are issued by Basildon Council. Applications must be made in writing.

How To Apply

To apply for a Hackney Carriage Licence for your vehicle, you can either,

  • Contact the Taxi Licensing Team and request the necessary forms or 
  • Download the forms, see related downloads.

Returning Your Completed Application And Other Required Documents

Application forms and other required documents should be handed in to:

The Licensing Officer
The Basildon Centre,
St Martin's Square,
Basildon, Essex SS14 1DL.

Tel. (01268) 206925

Please Do Not Post Your Completed Application Form To The Licensing Office.

You should phone first to make an appointment to submit your forms, pay your fees, book a council test and arrange a meter test.

We will need to see you in person when you hand in your application and all of the necessary additional documents mentioned below.

We will also need to see:

  • a Proprietorship Requisition Form - (See related downloads)
  • the vehicle registration document (log book)
  • a bill of sale
  • an MoT certificate (if applicable)
  • insurance cover for public hire 

A vehicle licence will not be issued until valid insurance cover for public hire has been seen.

Hackney Carriage Vehicle Inspections

The Licensing Office will need to check that your vehicle meets licensing conditions in all respects.

It will need to pass an examination at the Council Depot. You will need to contact the Licensing Office to arrange for an inspection which will consist of an MoT and a compliance test. These inspections can usually be arranged within a few days of your application.

Costs and Fees

Please see Icon for pdf Basildon Council - Schedule of Fees and Charges 2020-2021 [575.32KB] (see page 56) for information on the licensing fees for hackney carriages. The fees are correct at the time of publication, please contact the Licensing Team for information on up to date fees. Licences will be granted on a rolling year basis and must be renewed before their expiry date.

The fee includes two inspections at the Council Depot and the issue of the plate and door stickers.

Types Of Vehicle That Can Be Used As Hackney Carriages

Any car can be used for hackney carriage work provided the vehicle meets the following conditions:

  •  It must be capable of carrying at least four passengers, but no more than eight including any passenger in a wheelchair
  • The vehicle must be side loading, wheelchair accessible and of a type approved by Basildon Borough Council
  • It must meet M1 European Whole Vehicle type approval
  • The vehicle must meet all other Icon for pdf pre-licensing conditions [432.29KB]

Basildon Council will not be liable if you purchase a vehicle which cannot be licensed because it does not meet the pre-licensing conditions.

Always make sure that any vehicle you intend to license meets all the conditions before you pay for it or enter into any credit agreement.

If you have any doubts about whether your particular vehicle is acceptable, contact the Licensing Office who can usually arrange to look at it before you make a decision.


Once your vehicle has been licensed it cannot be driven by anybody else unless they hold a hackney carriage driver's licence and a valid PATS certificate.

This means that your spouse, partner or children will be unable to drive the vehicle at any time, even on holiday, unless they hold a current hackney carriage driver's licence.

Such use could invalidate your insurance cover.

The Hackney Carriage Driver's licence must be issued by the same Council that issued the vehicle licence.

Vehicle Age Restrictions For Hackney Carriage Work

All wheelchair accessible vehicles (with the exception of London Style Vehicles*) must be less than 5 years of age at the time of first licensing.  At each subsequent re-licensing it must not be more than 15 years of age.

*London Style vehicles must be less than 6 years of age at the time of first licensing.  At each subsequent re-licensing it must not be more than 15 years of age.