Privacy Notice - Garden Waste Subscription Service
The purpose of this Privacy Notice is to explain how and for what purposes we process your personal data. It applies to personal data that is processed electronically and on paper.
Please read the following Privacy Notice carefully.
Why we are collecting your data
Basildon Borough Council needs to collect your personal data to administer a garden waste subscription service.
- Email address
- Contact number
- Bank details
The data is collected through:
The basis for the processing
For Personal Data (any information related to a natural person or 'Data Subject' that can be used to directly or indirectly identify the person. For example an email address, telephone number or IP address (when linked with an identifier):
- Contract: to support business needs and deliver the garden waste subscription collection service
Who your information will be shared with
Internal services: Depot Support Team, Refuse Collection Service, Sundries Accounts, Audit and the Customer Resolution Centre.
- External organisations: A dedicated permitting provider will be used. No bank details will be shared with the permitting company.
We have arrangements with a range of IT providers who support the Council's IT systems and services, therefore your data may be accessed by these suppliers. Where we have these arrangements there is always a contractual agreement with them to ensure they comply with the Data Protection Law.
We will never sell your data, however it will be shared with third parties to:
- Comply with legal obligations and legislative requirements
- Help business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors to deliver any contract we enter with them or you
- To help if there is need of any professional or legal advice on a matter relating to you
- To help prevent fraud and/or tackle crime
- To improve and optimise the performance of our services
Provide accurate information
We need to hold accurate and up to date information about you so that we can deliver appropriate services. If any of your details change, you need to tell us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.
We will not:
- Use your information for marketing or sales purposes without your prior explicit consent
- Send or store your data abroad unless it meets the requirements of the Data Protection regulations
- Make decisions about you based on automated processing
How long will we hold your data for?
We will keep all records relating to the Garden Waste Subscription Collection Service for a period of 7 years following notification that you no longer reside in the Borough. Records will be securely deleted in line with our retention and disposal policy.
You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you. Any access requests are free of charge. If the information we hold about you is inaccurate, you have a right to have this corrected and you have the right to request completion of incomplete data. You have the right to ask us to erase your personal data in certain circumstances ('right to be forgotten').
You have the right to ask us to stop or restrict the processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances. Where possible, we will seek to comply with your request, but we may need to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement.
You can make any of these requests by:
- Email: Data Protection Officer
- Phone: 01268 533333
- Letter to:
The Data Protection Officer
Basildon Borough Council
St. Martin's Square,
If you have a complaint, contact Environmental Services in the first instance via email - email@example.com. If the Environmental Services are not able to address your concern or you are not satisfied, please contact our Data Protection team using any of the contact details above.
If you are still dissatisfied with how we have used your personal information, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office, by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745
- Letter to:
Information Commissioner's Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Further independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues is available from the Information Commissioner's Office, see: