Privacy Notice - E-newsletter Service
The purpose of this Privacy Notice is to explain how and for what purposes we process your personal data. It applies to personal data that is processed electronically and on paper.
Please read the following Privacy Notice carefully.
Basildon Borough Council needs to collect your personal data so that the Council can communicate with you through our E-newsletter about the subjects and topics in which you have indicated you are interested.
- Email address
- Age range
We need this data to accurately send email updates to you and so that we are able to tailor information that will be of most interest and relevance to you.
The data is collected through:
- Third parties
The basis for the processing
For Personal Data (any information related to a natural person or 'Data Subject' that can be used to directly or indirectly identify the person. For example an email address, telephone number or IP address (when linked with an identifier):
- Consent: the individual gives clear consent for the council to process their personal data to communicate with them on topics of interest and can withdraw this consent at any time by unsubscribing from the newsletters.
- Vital interests: during the coronavirus pandemic the council will use the data to communicate important public health messages that contribute to the national objective to stay at home protect the NHS and save lives.
- Public task: the processing is necessary for you to perform a task in the public interest or for your official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law via the Local Government Act 1974.
Who your information will be shared with
We will never sell your data, however it will be shared with third parties to:
- Comply with legal obligations and legislative requirements
- Help business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors to deliver any contract we enter with them or you
- To help if there is need of any professional or legal advice on a matter relating to you
- To help prevent fraud and/or tackle crime
- To improve and optimise the performance of our services
Providing accurate information
We need to hold accurate and up to date information about you so that we can deliver appropriate services. If any of your details change, you need to tell us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.
We will not:
- use your information for marketing or sales purposes without your prior explicit consent.
- send or store your data abroad unless it meets the requirements of the Data Protection regulations.
- make decisions about you based on automated processing.
How long will we hold your data for?
We will keep your data to communicate with you as long as you continue to request communications. If at any time you unsubscribe from our communications, your data will be deleted.
You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you. Any access requests are free of charge.
If the information we hold about you is inaccurate, you have a right to have this corrected and you have the right to request completion of incomplete data.
You have the right to ask us to erase your personal data in certain circumstances ('right to be forgotten').
You have the right to ask us to stop or restrict the processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances. Where possible, we will seek to comply with your request, but we may need to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement.
You can make any of these requests by:
- Email: Data Protection Officer
- Phone: 01268 533333
- Letter to:
Basildon Borough Council
St. Martin's Square,
If you are dissatisfied with how we have used your personal information, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office, by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745
- Letter to:
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Further independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues is available from the Information Commissioner's Office, see: