Privacy Notice - Assisted Collections
The purpose of this Privacy Notice is to explain how and for what purposes we process your personal data. It applies to personal data that is processed electronically.
The Assisted Collection service is available to all residents over the age of 18 who need help moving their waste to the edge of their property for collection, providing they meet our eligibility criteria. Residents are able to complete an on-line self-service application form to receive this service, have an advocate or referrer complete the online self-referral form on their behalf providing that they have permission to do so or contact our Customer Service team who will complete the form with applicants over the phone.
The council will approve this application in most cases as part of its duty of care under the Equality Act 2010, but it reserves the right to request evidence to support eligibility to access the service as necessary. A risk assessment may be carried out for some collections.
Why we are collecting your data?
Basildon Borough Council needs to collect your personal data so that the council can deliver the Assisted Collection service. The Council use this information to confirm a resident's eligibility to receive an assisted collection and the period for which the assistance will be provided for.
- Full address
- Contact Details to include phone number and email
- Health and social care conditions
- Web Data (e.g. location data, IP address, cookies)
- Browser type and version
- Operating system and platform
The data is collected through
- Digital application form hosted on Basildon Council's website
- An app available on IOS and Android
- Feedback and survey responses
- Third Parties
Please note that the app contains links to other websites. Once you have used links to a website and leave the app, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by these terms and conditions or this apps privacy notice. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy notice or the terms and conditions applicable to the website in question. The app also contains links to Basildon Council's website, and Social Media sites (Facebook, Twitter and Linked in). On visiting The Council's sites, those sites terms and conditions and the respective privacy notices will apply as these terms and conditions are superseded as you would have left the app.
The basis for the processing
For Personal Data (any information related to a natural person or 'Data Subject' that can be used to directly or indirectly identify the person. For example an email address, telephone number or IP address (when linked with an identifier):
Consent: the individual has given clear consent for the Council to process their personal data for a specific purpose.
For Special Category Data Explicit consent: the individual has given explicit consent for the Council to process their personal data for a specific purpose
Who your information will be shared with
- Internal services: Depot support team; Refuse Supervisors, Collections crews, Depot clerical team, Customer Service team, Safeguarding team
- We have arrangements with a range of IT providers who support the Council's IT systems and services, therefore your data may be accessed by these suppliers. Where we have these arrangements there is always a contractual agreement with them to ensure they comply with the Data Protection Law.
We will never sell your data, however it will be shared with third parties to:
- Comply with legal obligations and legislative requirements
- Help business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors to deliver any contract we enter with them or you
- To help if there is need of any professional or legal advice on a matter relating to you
- To help prevent fraud and/or tackle crime
- To improve and optimise the performance of our services
Provide accurate information
We need to hold accurate and up to date information about you so that we can deliver appropriate services. If any of your details change, you need to tell us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.
We will not:
- Use your information for marketing or sales purposes without your prior explicit consent.
- Send or store your data abroad unless it meets the requirements of the Data Protection regulations
- Make decisions about you based on automated processing
How long will we hold your data for?
We will keep all records relating to the Assisted Collection Service for 7 years following notification that you no longer wish to receive or no longer qualify for the service offer.
You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you. Any access requests are free of charge. If the information we hold about you is inaccurate, you have a right to have this corrected and you have the right to request completion of incomplete data. You have the right to ask us to erase your personal data in certain circumstances ('right to be forgotten').
You have the right to ask us to stop or restrict the processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances. Where possible, we will seek to comply with your request, but we may need to hold or process information to comply with a legal requirement.
You can make any of these requests by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 01268 533333
- Letter to:
The Data Protection Officer
Basildon Borough Council
St. Martin's Square,
If you are dissatisfied with how we have used your personal information, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office, by:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745
- Letter to:
Information Commissioner's Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Further independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues is available from the Information Commissioner's Office, see: