Toggle menu

If you need to log an emergency repair to a council property, please call 0800 011 3241.

All webpages and PDFs are produced in the United Kingdom and written in only English. The default human language is identified as en-GB. Further information can be found in the accessibility statement shown in the footer of each page:

If you are unhappy with building work - Advice from Building Control

During construction projects, Building Control's site inspections make sure work follows Building Regulations. Here is some advice on what to do next if you are unhappy with building work.

What do Building Regulations not cover? 

Building Control cannot help you choose a builder or control the way a company manages a project. Homeowners are also responsible for cosmetic aspects such as painting and finishes.

How you could be covered if you are unhappy with building work

Payments to Builders 

Ideally, builders will be paid in stages as work moves forward. During work, make sure to keep copies of correspondence and conversations and take photographs. 

Then, if issues arise, you can provide evidence to support your case. 

Consumer Protection

First, a number of laws offer consumer protection. If you are unhappy with your building work, you can contact Essex County Council's Trading Standards Department. This department enforces many consumer laws including; the Consumer Protection Act 1987 and the Trades Description Act 1968.

You can also take independent legal advice from a solicitor or Citizens Advice Bureau. 

Apply for a Building Regularisation Certificate   

When work is carried out without correct approval, there is an opportunity to correct this. After applying for a regularisation certificate, a surveyor assesses the work in line with building regulations. 

See more information on applying for a Building Regularisation Certificate.