About Environmental Health
Basildon Council's Environmental Health Service aims to deliver on the following services.
To protect and enhance the environment of the Basildon Borough Council area our responsibilities include;
- Pest control including advice and enforcement
- Control of stray dogs
- Promoting responsible pet management
- Inspection of food businesses including advice and enforcement
- Investigation of complaints about food and food sampling
- Provision of food hygiene training courses
- Tackling unsatisfactory conditions in private rented accommodation
- Detection of overcrowding
- Advice on tenant harassment or illegal evictions
- Various licensing and registration functions
- Regulating alcohol and entertainment, gambling, skin piercing, animal establishments and charitable collections
- Occupational health and safety
- Inspection of workplaces - enforcement and advice
- Investigation of accidents at work
- Air, land, water pollution monitoring and control
- Authorisation of industrial processes that discharge to the atmosphere
- Stopping statutory nuisances
- Rectifying defective private drainage systems
- Investigating food poisoning outbreaks and control of communicable disease
- Promoting public health initiatives
- Enforcement of 'Smoke free Regulations'
Environmental Health Services Enforcement Policy
The impact of decisions taken by Environmental Health Practitioners can be very significant on the individual or business concerned and so enforcement actions have to be carefully considered. it is important that our customers understand the way we make decisions about enforcement. The policy now also incorporates Planning and Building Control Services. Further information can be found in our.
Emergency contact number
Telephone: 01268 533333 (Environmental Health Emergency 24 hour service)
Only to be used outside normal working hours to report:
- A stray dog
- A noise nuisance
- A major pollution incident.
Please note that Environmental Health Officers are not available on a 24 hour basis. If you log a call with the emergency number an officer will respond to you as soon as possible.