If you expect to be discharged from hospital soon but still have nowhere to live it is important that you take immediate action. You should inform hospital staff who will be able to arrange for appropriate support.
Peabody (formerly Family Mosaic) is working in partnership with Basildon Council to assess patient circumstances, offer advice and support and, provide access to rehousing options.
Most British residents are eligible to apply for rehousing assistance, though separate rules may apply for those who have just returned from abroad.
What to expect
An assessment will take place in order to determine whether you are:
- A priority need for rehousing consideration, and/or are otherwise significantly more vulnerable then an average person
- Locally connected to the Basildon Borough
Our Housing Solutions team are able to give housing advice and provide you with the best suited Personal Housing Plan to prevent or relieve your homelessness.
What we will do?
- Identify whether there is anywhere for you to return to or negotiate for your return if possible
- Discuss your options for housing and work with you to prevent homelessness
- Work with a range of other agencies to assess whether you are likely to need help living independently
- If hostel, refuge or other forms of temporary accommodation are required, we will identify the most suitable options and search for availability
- If there is no accommodation available in the South East Region, the Housing Solutions Officer may seek options outside the area
- We will work on getting you into settled housing. Our advice and support workers will also help you move into independent accommodation (where possible)
- Mental health patients will get support from a Psychiatric Nurse or a Social Worker
What the Occupational Therapist will do?
- Liaise with hospital multi disciplinary teams and a range of agencies
- Assess whether you would be eligible for mobile/temporary equipment e.g. bath hoists and walking aids
- Help plan moves for people with a range of physical health needs
- Organise adaptations to new or existing homes to meet your needs
- Ensure an adequate care package is in place prior to your discharge if required