Toggle menu

If you need to log an emergency repair to a council property, please call 0800 011 3241.

All webpages and PDFs are produced in the United Kingdom and written in only English. The default human language is identified as en-GB. Further information can be found in the accessibility statement shown in the footer of each page:

Insurance Cover For Events On Basildon Council Land Or Property

All contractors, entertainers, clubs and organisations etc., must have a public liability insurance policy in place when using the Council facilities or land to carry out works or hold an event

Under the Occupiers Liability Act 1957, Basildon Council has a duty of care to ensure the reasonable safety of any visitor using their premises for the purpose it is intended.

It is therefore necessary that the following have an appropriate and up to date public liability insurance policy in place:

  • all contractors working on Basildon Council property or land
  • all entertainers, clubs, organisations and individuals that use Basildon Council property or land for meetings and events etc.

The relevant Council department will carry out checks on the public liability insurance of all contractors working on Basildon Council property or land. In addition, checks will be completed for clubs, instructors, entertainers, charities, street collectors and organisations etc., using Council property or land for a meeting or event.

If entertainers, clubs, organisations and individuals etc., are unable to provide the required public liability insurance for their event, the Council's event or service manager will be within their right to cancel or postpone the event booking until the required insurance has been put in place.

This is not only to protect the Council's interest but also to protect the contractor, individual or organisation using the facilities against any possible claims for injury or damage.