Toggle menu

If you need to log an emergency repair to a council property, please call 0800 011 3241

All webpages and PDFs are produced in the United Kingdom and written in only English. The default human language is identified as en-GB. Further information can be found in the accessibility statement shown in the footer of each page:

Basildon street names; their meanings and origins

There are some odd street names in Basildon, listed below are the meanings of some of the more interesting ones.

Select list of street names by letter:


Street names: A

Street name meaning


A hamlet and farm in the Hinckford Hundred and was mentioned in the Chancery Proceedings in 1422. Probably in old English "Old Cottage". Hamlet is near Bocking.


A village in the Tendering Hundred. Old English version is Eardling, meaning a dwelling in a clearing. A house anywhere in Lee Chapel South is a dwelling in a clearing.

Audley Way

The manorial name of Audley commemorates the gift to Sir Thomas Audley by Henry VIII of the lands of the Abbey of Walden in 1538.


This is the name of an old farm in the Chelmsford Hundred near Broomfield. It was owned by John Aylet in 1381.


Street names: B

Street name meaning

Beehive Lane

This is one of the old lane names in the designated area. It is just the name of the lane where the beehives were kept.


Associated with the name of Henry de Belsted of Belstedes Hall farm in 1327; in the Chelmsford Hundred at Little Waltham


This name would perpetuate that of the moated house that stood near Holy Cross Church.


A farm in the Freshwell Hundred founded by Thomas de Boyton in 1328.


The first Lord Braybrooke in the late 18th Century took over Audley End, "the noblest house in Essex", on which he spent £100,000 on restorations and established the house as a treasure house of books and art. The third Lord Braybrooke is famous as the first editor of Pepys. The present Lord Braybrooke is the 9th holder of the title.


This was the original name of Burntwown Farm in Layer de Ia Haye. This farm was in existence in 1300.


From the place name in the Winstree Hundred. The word "layer" is pure Scandinavian for "clay" and its use has no parallel elsewhere in Essex. Breton was held by the family of Lewis Brite in 1420.


A small field in the manor of Hempstead Hall which on 25 October 1720 was leased for 500 years at the rental of 4d. (four pence) per annum. This area is still under cultivation but will be lost to housing.


Street names: C

Street name meaning

Chester Hall Lane

Chester M. Hall (1703 to 1771) was the inventor of the Achromatic Telescope and was born at Leigh-on-Sea and lived at Sutton.

Chittock Gate and Chittock Mead

Named after a local family who have lived in this area many years

Christopher Martin Road

Named after the Billericay miller who ground flour for the voyage of the first "Mayflower".

Church Road

The original road leading up to Holy Cross Church which was founded about 1400.

Courtauld Road

George Courtauld was the founder of the Essex silk industry in the 18th century.

Cranes Farm Road

Named after Hugh le Crane who was the first to farm the area in 1272.

Crompton Close

Rookes E.B. Crompton (1845 to 1940). Electrical Engineer pioneer motorist and founded the Chelmsford firm around 1875.

Cross Green

This is a field name and a farm name. In villages the village green sometimes has an elaborate cross set up in memory of a popular doctor or parson.


Street names: D

Street name meaning


A field name since 1487 in Stebbing in the Hinckford Hundred.


A farm in Black Notley first notified in the public record office in 1567.


Street names: E

Street name meaning


That part of Lee Chapel lying to the east, i.e. Eastley.


Edgecotts was a messuage (i.e. a dwelling house with adjoining buildings and land) in Edward the Confessor's reign and now believed to be the Lee Chapel South area.

Eisenhower Road

Dwight Eisenhower (1890-1969) Twice elected president of USA (1953-1961)


An area in Tillingham which in 1535 was "old land", i.e. land long under cultivation in those days.


Street names: F

Street name meaning

Falstaff Place

St John Falstaf, a character in Shakespeare's play Henry V parts 1-11. The term Falstaffian means to act in a jovial way


An Essex farm called Fletcher's belonging to a certain John Henniker Esq was recorded in 1621. He was a burgess of Sudbury but owned several other farms in Essex - Wanners and Bishops Wood Green farms in Dunmow Hundred and several more spread over the County.

Ford Close

Gerald Ford (1913) 38th President of USA (1974-1977)

Fraser Close

Malcolm Fraser (1930) Australian Prime Minister (1975-1983)


Street names: G

Street name meaning

Gardiners Lane / Close /North / South

The Gardiner family farmed Great Waskett Farm, just north of the Arterial from 1274


John Gebyon held the land in this area in 1396 by Knight's service. Margaret, his only daughter had a daughter by her marriage with John Symond and it was she who brought part of this area in marriage to William Gaynesford who died possessed of it on 20th May 1484.


After the family of Gernons who held a Manor in Essex for 300 years.


Named after a farm in Honeypot Lane that had a brook running in front of the house - the Scottish word for brook is ghyll.


One of the oldest farms in the County. Associated with the family of Robert de Gibecrake in 1287. It is situated in the Thurstable Hundred at Great Totham


A farm and field name in Little Horkesley in the Lexdon Hundred. This farm was associated with the name of Thomas Gladewynes in 1450.


This name has been given to both areas and farms here in Essex and in the Midlands. Here in Essex the farm in Mucking is associated with the family of Thomas Gubyun in 1306. Great Leighs was also called Gobions in 1376.

Gore (The)

A farm in Rochford Hundred. This farm was mentioned in the Court rolls in 1374.


A farm in the Rochford Hundred. This name comes from the family of Grapinel who in the year 1086 held half a hide in the Manor of Prittlewell.

Great Gregorie

This is a stretch of woodlands in Theydon Bois and is named after the family of Gregory de Theydon established there in 1250.


Street names: H

Street name meaning

Handley Green

The word Hanlee, meaning a clearing, was used in 1323 in the parish of Fryerning in the Chelmsford Hundred.

Harvey Road

Gabriel Harvey was a prosperous rope maker of Saffron Walden; he attended Queen Elizabeth I at Audley End. He was also a poet and scholar.


Essex field name.

High Barrets

The name of a new Manor House built by John Baret in 1428. The new house was built opposite the old moated manor, which was later pulled down. The house also gives its name to the nearby hamlet in the Bocking Area in the Hinckford Hundred

Honey Pot Lane

The name came from the soft, sticky London clay mud bath that the road became every time it rained!

Hoover Drive

Herbert Hoover (1874-1964) 31st President of USA (1929-1933)

Howard Chase

Luke Howard (1772 - 1864). Chemist, Meteorologist, Botanist, Philanthropist. Founder of the chemical works in Ilford now, but started in West Ham.


Street names: I

Street name meaning

Ilgars Road

A manor in Woodham Ferrers.


The stream of Inga. Ingrebourne in Hornchurch where the Inga people lived. This name is probably as old as any in the County.


Street names: J

Street name meaning

Jefferson Avenue

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) Twice elected President of USA (1801-1809)

Josselin Road

Ralph Josselin of Earls Colne was a diarist who wrote an accurate history of Essex during the Civil War.


Street names: K

Street name meaning

Kathleen Ferrier Crescent

Kathleen Ferrier (1912-1953) was considered to be one of the most noteworthy contralto singers of the 20th century.

Kennedy Avenue

John F Kennedy (1917-1963) 35th President of USA (1961-1963) Assassinated in Dallas.


There are many farms in the County of this name. One in the Lexden Hundred was associated with the family of Robert Knyaght in Great Horkesley in 1450.

Knares (The)

This is a common field name in Essex and occurs in many localities but nearly always denotes a field stretching down on a slope to a water course.


Street names: L

Street name meaning


This is the old English name of a wood in Belshamo St. Pauls.

Lee Walk

Derived from the Lee Chapels neighbourhood.


This was a messuage in this area owned by Sir John Tyrell who held the manor of the Bishop of London and of the King. Sir John died on 28th February 1540 leaving John Tyrell Esq., his son and heir, who was then 26 years old.

Little Oxcroft

A field name in the Langdon Hills area from the 19th Century.

Luckyn Lane

Lionel Luckyn (1742 - 1834) son of William Luckyn of Dunmow. Lionel Luckyn was the inventor of life boats.

Luncies Road

The name taken from the nearby Luncies Farm, which was one of the first farms to be sold for building.

Lynge (The)

The Lynge was the name of a river since lost in the development of Laindon. The river rose in the hill behind Laindon and flowed to the Crouch.


A hamlet and farm in the Dunmow Hundred. In 1399 the farm was owned by Mr William Lynstede.


Street names: M

Street name meaning

Markhams Chase

Mr A J Markham was the owner of a 250 acre farm who died aged 54 in 1929.

Mellow Purgess

This is the name of an old farm in 1077 in Stondon Massey and was at that date the manor of the family of Maupirtins

Menzies Avenue

Robert Menzies (1894-1978) Twice Australian Prime minister 1939-1941 and 1949-1966


Is the old name of Marden in the Ongar Hundred. The meaning of the word is "Boundary Valley and is the old name for the valley between High and Chipping Ongar.

Miles Gray Road

Miles Gray (1575 - 1649). Bell founder of Colchester, Langham and Saffron Walden


Mollands has been a farm in South Ockendon in the Chaffered Hundred since 1352. Molland was a term of land tenure emancipated from forced labour and held on payment of a fair rent.


Street names: N

Street name meaning

Neville Shaw

"Neville" is the family name of the Braybrooke family. "Shaw" is old English for "Copse".

Newberry Side

Essex field name.

Nicholas Lane

Named after the 12th century church in Laindon, St. Nicholas


This is the name of a farm in the Belchamp Walter area in the Hinckford Hundred. The Farm has been in occupation since 1254


Street names: O

Street name meaning

Oakdene Road

The name of the street literally means "from the oak tree valley"


Street names: P

Street name meaning


Sometimes written Pamphlins or more rarely and at a much earlier date Pamphlions. A name of a farm in the Uttlesford Hundred associated with the family of Geoffrey Pamphlun in 1306.


Essex field name.


A farm in East Hanningfield mentioned in Chapman and Andre's survey of 1777 and then called Paperells.


A farm in Good Easter in the Dunmow Hundred. This farm was under the control of Robert Passelewes in 1236 and there are still folk of similar names in the village.

Pomfret Mead

Pomfret is Norman French. This word occurs in several localities where the farm road crosses small streams.

Pound Lane

A field where stray cattle or live stock was stored before being reclaimed.


Street names: R

Street name meaning

Rantree Fold

The enclosure, usually in the north with stone walls, and in the south nowadays with netting now that a large amount of the hedge has been cut down. Rantree or rowantree gives the name to the fold by its presence and was used to distinguish it from the other fold which might have had a different tree growing in it or in the hedge.


This was the name of a farm near Bures in 1714 in the Hinckford Hundred


Ricolax was the wife of Sledda, the sixth century King of Essex and she was of the Rikelinges, the people who lived where the village of Rickling stands today in the Uttlesford Hundred.

Rising Grove

A farm at Langehoe in the Winstree Hundred. Associated with the family of Clement de Rysinge in 1253.

Roosevelt Road

Named after two American Presidents, Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919) and Franklin D Roosevelt (1882-1945)

Rose Acre

Essex field name.


Street names: S

Street name meaning


A farm at Great Totham in the Thurstable Hundred; mentioned in Morant's History of Essex in 1768 and was in the ownership of Robert, son of Sewin, in 1549.

Shakespeare Avenue

William Shakespeare (1564-1616) Born and died in Stratford upon Avon, but spent much of his life as an actor and playwright in London.


Essex field name.


A farm in Sandon in the Chelmsford Hundred. Associated with the family of William Sporun in 1254.


An old farm which has now been lost in the building of Harlow New Town. The farm was connected with the family of Sporiere since 1359.


The Roman road to Colchester is so named in one or two places. The Road of Stone. Old English Stanweg.


This is the name of an old farm in the Hinckford Hundred near Bird-brook. The farm was owned by Richard Stobilum in 1294.

Swinborne Road

Swinbournes were the old Isinglass manufacturers at Coggeshall. Isinglass is a firm, whitish substance from the air-bladders of fresh water fish used in a variety of things including: cookery, beer making and glue.


Street names: T

Street name meaning


Teagles is also very suitable for this area as it is an old English word for scrub land which, on account of the brambles and thorns, was difficult to enter easily.

The Fold

An enclosure, usually in the north with stone walls, and in the south nowadays with hedges, or netting. Rantree or rowantree gives the name to the fold by its presence and was used to distinguish it from another fold which might have had a different tree growing in it or in the hedge.

The Frame

There are two farms so named in the County, one in Tolleshunt D'Arcy which once belonged to Beeleigh Abbey and the other near Feering, in which parish land was owned by St John's Abbey in 1400. Both farms were evidently farmed by friars as they appear in the records as "ffreres" and "frere".

The Gore

A farm in Rochford Hundred. This farm was mentioned in the Court Rolls in 1374.

The Knares

This is a common field name in Essex and occurs in many localities but nearly always denotes a field stretching down on a slope to a water course.

The Lynge

The Lynge was the name of a river since lost in the development of Laindon. The river rose in the hill behind Laindon and flowed to the Crouch.

Thomasin Road

Thomasins were brush makers at Witham.


The area of this road in Basildon originally consisted of thornbush

Tilney Turn

Tilney Turn is a field enclosed by a round sweep of the River Pant at Shalford in the Hinckford Hundred. Appropriate for the street for which it is proposed which is one continuous turn.

Tinkler Side

An Essex field name quite common. However, where gypsies are known to camp throughout many counties, Tinkers Green, Tinkers, Tinklers End are all similar names and indicate the field the tinkers or gypsies camp.

Truman Close

Harry S Truman (1994-1972) President of USA (1945-1953)


Street names: W

Street name meaning


The name of an old Essex family who had their family seat at Navestock. The second Earl of Waldegrave was a friend of George II and attained fame by being Prime Minister for 5 days in 1757. He had no wish to hold the office, only allowing himself to be nominated to please the King.

Washington Avenue

George Washington (1732-1799) First elected President of USA (1789-1797). Washington DC - America Capital City is also named after George Washington.


A place where roads meet.


This is the name of a field, part of Bowers Hall, Rivenhall. It probably has reference to the settlement of weavers from the Low Countries in that part of Essex, i.e. in the neighbourhood of Witham, Coggeshall and Braintree.


From the old English word "wene" meaning beautiful.


A wether is a male sheep. Again this is a field name. Wethersfield. Wethercote. It is necessary to keep the wether or tup as we call him in the north, separate from the ewes except in the tupping season and the field where he lives is the wetherland, or wethersfield and in the north where the upland winds blow he has a cote or hut to keep him warm. Wether is Anglo-Saxon.


A farm in the Dengie Hundred - associated with the wife of Wymund Senescot in 1235. Barstable 10 and 20 Housing Areas.


A farm and cottages in Little Baddow in the Chelmsford Hundred. These were built in 1 250 and were then called Wickheye.

Winstanley Way

Henry Winstanley, 1644 - 1703. Engineer and Engraver born in Saffron Walden.

Woolmer Green

A farm at Stisted in the Hinckford Hundred. Built in 1371, it was originally called Wolfeth Shey Gardyn.