Toggle menu

If you need to log an emergency repair to a council property, please call 0800 011 3241.

All webpages and PDFs are produced in the United Kingdom and written in only English. The default human language is identified as en-GB. Further information can be found in the accessibility statement shown in the footer of each page:

About Booking a Site Inspection

Before booking a site inspection, please read and understand when a surveyor must visit the site.

Image of the Local Authority Building Control Logo

When can work start?

After submitting a Building Notice or Full Plans application, work can start on site 48 hours after giving notice to the local authority.

Throughout work, booking a site inspection online  is available 24/7.

Place a request by 7pm the day before your requested inspection for next day inspection.

When urgent, same-day inspections may be available. Please call building control by 10.00am on the day and our team will try to accommodate your request. 

Which Stages of Building Work Require Inspection 

During construction, surveyors must visit at several stages to make sure work is complying with Building Regulations. 

You or your builder must notify building control at any of the following stages:
1.    Work has started on site 
2.    Excavation of foundations
3.    Before laying further bricks - damp-proof course
4.    Before concrete is poured - preparation for the over site of concrete
5.    Before backfilling - drain runs 
6.    After covering and with a water / air test applied - drain runs 
7.    Timbers for roof / floors 
8.    The occupation of new work (or part of it) 
9.    When work is completed 

After work has completed, make sure to receive a completion certificate. This provides proof to banks and solicitors that any building work meets building regulations, to a satisfactory standard. 

Building control cannot supply a completion certificate without seeing all the necessary parts of the project. 

Application Time Limits

If work has not started within three years of the deposit of the plans, the council may, by notice (under Section 32 of the Building Act 1984) declare the plans to be of no effect.

If you still wish to proceed with work a new application must be submitted. This new application will have to be to the standards applicable at the time of deposition and will require a further fee.

Basildon Building Control

  • Address
    • Building Control Services
    • The Basildon Centre
    • St Martins Square
    • Basildon
    • Essex
    • SS14 1DL
    • United Kingdom
  • Telephone01268 208026