The George Hurd Activity Centre
The George Hurd Activity Centre is a lively, friendly and bustling daytime venue for the new town's older generation to meet and socialise in the very heart of Basildon.
Originally established in 1969 by Councillor George Hurd, the centre has been re-established in a brand new purpose built complex since May 2008.
Address:The George Hurd Activity CentreAudley WayBasildonEssexSS14 2FL
Phone: 01268 465 854
How to find us: View Location Map & Get Directions
The activity centre is open Monday to Friday 9.00am till 4.30pm
Room Hire at George Hurd Activity Centre
We can provide meeting/function room facilities with buffet catering for parties numbering between 25 and 100 people, for further information and prices per hour see, George Hurd Activity Centre - Room Hire Booklet [1017kb].
Membership is open to anyone over the age of 50.
Membership fees (April to March):
- £52 per annum household membership for residents within the Basildon borough.
- £54 per annum household membership for residents outside the Basildon borough.
Download a membership application
- George Hurd Activity Centre - Membership Application [36kb]
- Membership application forms are also available at reception.
Each activity centre maintains an elected members committee which meets regularly to put forward suggestions for day trips, events and entertainment.
What's on offer?
- Activities, crafts, fitness and dance classes - Most classes currently have availability, please contact reception for further details.
- Specialised transport to and from the day centre for those who need it, see BDVC
- Snooker room, lounge and dining room
- Hairdresser: Monday to Friday
- Chiropodist - visits monthly
- Reflexology - every 2 weeks on a Thursday (appointment necessary)
- Regular entertainment events
- Special events: dinners and seasonal celebrations
- Numerous day trips per year, including shopping trips, London shows, Rambles, coastal tours and other places of interest and entertainment.