Individual Electoral Registration
How to register to vote
The voter registration system changed in June 2014.
The new voter registration system is called 'Individual Electoral Registration'.
How is the new system different?
- You can now register online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
- Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the 'head of every household' could register everyone who lived at their address.
- You need to provide a few more details to register - including your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.
How do I register under the new system?
1) Go to www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
2) Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You'll also need your national insurance number, which can be found on your national insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits. If you do not have a national insurance number please contact the electoral department on 01268 533333 for further guidance on how to register.
3) Look out for a confirmation to say you're registered. In some instances, we will require you to provide further information. If this is the case, we will write to let you know.
Deadline to register for the UK Parliamentary Election on Thursday, 8 June 2017
The deadline to register for the UK Parliamentary Election on Thursday, 8 June is Monday, 22 May 2017.