Toggle menu

Working age claimant - Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction (CTR) is a new discount scheme for persons of working age which came into effect from 1 April 2019.  The discount is administered by Basildon Council in order to reduce the amount of Council tax charged for people who are on a low income or are unemployed.

For full details of the scheme, download the following document: Icon for pdf Basildon Council - Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2021/22 [861.35KB].

How do I apply for CTR?

To apply for CTR you must:

  • be of working age
  • be liable to pay Council Tax for your property
  • be living in the property as your main home
  • have less than £6000 in savings.

You will be required to upload proof of your National Insurance (NI) number at the time of making an application. Please ensure you have this before proceeding.

If you are currently in receipt of CTR and are informing us of a change in your circumstances, please see the online change of circumstances page.

You may be issued a penalty of up to £70 if you fail to report a change in your circumstances within one month of the change.

What happens once I have made an application?

  • If you are awarded CTR we will apply the reduction to your Council tax account and send you a new bill with the discount included.
  • Please note we will no longer send you a notification letter detailing your entitlement.

How is entitlement calculated?

CTR entitlement is calculated based on a comparison of household income and household size. The below table shows the percentage reduction that will be applied to your Council tax account based on your household and weekly income.

Table showing entitlement to reduction based on new CTR Scheme

If you qualify for at least 25% reduction based on the above table and you, your partner, or anyone you get child benefit for is disabled, a 75% reduction will apply.

To be classed as disabled the resident must receive one of the following income types:

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payments
  • Armed Forces Independence Payments
  • Working Tax Credit with the disability element.
  • Severe Disablement Allowance

Additional Support

If you require further assistance, or would like to discuss your financial situation you can get independent advice from the following organisations: - Information on public service in one place including up to date information on Housing Benefit.

Citizens Advice - Citizens Advice provide a wide range of advice.

The Money Advice Service - Offers a range of money information including budgeting and debt management advice.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email