Toggle menu

Coronavirus FAQs - Licensed Hackney carriage and private hire drivers

The Licensing team are continuing to work during this time and are receiving growing amounts of telephone and email enquiries. We appreciate and thank you for your patience, we are responding to your enquiries as quickly as possible. 

Here are some frequently asked questions: 

Generally, taxi and private hire drivers are not critical workers. We have received the following advice from the Department of Transport: 

"Taxis and private hire vehicles can continue to work. However, the advice is absolutely clear - people should stay at home if possible. That is the way to save lives and protect our NHS. The public should avoid travel unless essential. The only reasons to leave our houses are set out in the government guidance. Clearly if absolutely necessary to travel by taxi or private hire vehicle, best efforts should be used to follow the guidance as far as is practically possible, including washing your hands as soon as you get home."

Generally, taxi and private drivers are not critical workers. Drivers undertaking home to school transport or the transport of 'extremely vulnerable' people could be considered. This will be on a case-by-case basis.  

If identified as a critical worker, whenever possible you should arrange for your children to stay at home. Requests for children to attend school should be discussed with the school directly. 

If you are out and working please keep your distance from each other as the Government has requested and keep following the advice from the following website:

GOV.UK - Coronavirus (COVID-19): Guidance and support.

On the Government website there is advice in regards to the different financial support that is being made available, although the Council is still awaiting guidance in some circumstances. 

There is specific advice on the council website for residents and businesses with dedicated e-mail addresses for specific enquiries.  This information is being updated as further detail is released by the Government.

  including how to access help with council tax.

 including how to apply for business support packages. 

The Basildon Centre is closed to members of the public. All appointments for the Licensing team are for collection only. Our team are allocating a collection day for applications submitted prior to this date. 

Please call the Licensing office when you have arrived at the Basildon Centre, then a member of the team will come out and hand you the plate. We are following government social distancing guidelines and ask you to maintain a 2 metre distance during interactions with staff. 

Only attend the Basildon Centre if you have been given a specific collection appointment, you will not be seen otherwise. 

From the 30th March 2020 applications must be completed online before you attend any renewal appointment and emailed to

If you are having difficulties in submitting an electronic application please contact the licensing office as soon as possible and before you make any visit.  If you are in self-isolation or displaying symptoms please do not attend the council offices and contact us for further advice in relation to how we can support you through the application process. 

If you have any concerns about upcoming renewal applications or payments please email (make sure to include details of your concerns, renewal details and renewal date. Our team will review on a case-by-case basis).

Barleylands Depot remains open and vehicles must complete the six monthly inspection. 

If you are self-isolating and your vehicle is due for its inspection please email (make sure to include your vehicle plate number, the test due date and how long you are self-isolating / not working for. Then, we will respond with further advice on a case-by-case basis).

If you are not using your vehicle for work, you can stop your insurance. In addition, you will need a statutory off road notification (SORN).  

Confirmation of a vehicle being SORN must be sent to so that we can give you further advice in regards to your plate. This will be looked at on a case-by-case basis.

Our usual provider Cotswolds Medicals is unable to give driver medicals as their doctors are now working within the NHS. There is currently no alternative option. 

If you are due a medical over the next 3 months, you will be sent a self-declaration form. Please return completed forms to our Licensing Team by either of the following methods:

The Licensing Authority
Basildon Council
The Basildon Centre
St Martins Square
SS14 1DL

Our team are monitoring the situation and aim to get the medicals up and running as soon as possible.   

We understand that there are significant difficulties facing the licensed trade currently and are continuing to keep our processes under review.

We also ask that you please to be respectful to our staff who are continuing to work through the current challenges to try to maintain services providing relevant support to the trade.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email