Being prepared at home
We should all try to have in our homes the following information and supplies quickly at hand in case of a major incident, emergency or accident.
- Wind up or battery powered radio and torch.
- Spare batteries.
- First aid kit and medication.
- Food that does not need preparation or cooking and a can opener.
- Bottled water.
- Warm clothing or blankets.
- A list of useful telephone numbers, do not rely on your mobile phone address book.
- Toiletries - wet wipes, hand sanitisers, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, deodorants, hairbrush, and feminine supplies.
- Spare keys for your house and car.
- Important documents including copies of personnel identification and insurance details.
Being prepared in the car
It is possible that you could be stuck in your car if a major incident occurs. In case this happens, it is worth keeping the following things in your car to keep any inconvenience caused to a minimum.
- Bottled water
- First aid kit
- Torch and spare batteries
- In-car mobile phone charger
- Blanket and spare warm clothing