Gardiners Lane South supplementary planning guidance
In 2003 Basildon Council adopted Supplementary Planning Guidance for the major development site at Gardiners Lane South, Basildon.
The 90-acre Gardiners Lane site close to the A127 is one of the last large development sites in the Basildon District and offers a tremendous opportunity to create a new quality mixed-use business location serving Basildon and South Essex.
The Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) document was prepared following a Collaborative Design Workshop held in July and October 2002 and provides an overall vision for development of the site and considers its impact on surrounding areas.
Following a public consultation period between March and May 2003, Basildon Council adopted the new SPG on 3 July 2003.
The Gardiners Lane SPG will help:
- Basildon Council in determining planning applications for the site
- guide developers in considering the appropriate form of development
- the existing landowners in valuing the site
- guide public agencies who are considering funding the project.
The development proposals include:
- Up to 110,000 square metres of business premises, principally offices and light industrial units - catering for headquarters as well as start up units
- A Basildon Enterprise and Innovation Centre with 'grow on' space for small businesses
- 400 new homes
- 8 hectares of open space and ecology areas
- A new access off the A127
- A central area called The Place, which will support a hotel, shops, cafes, restaurants, creche etc.
- Improved public transport links along the Cranes Farm Road corridor
- The site could support up to 8,000 jobs
The Gardiners Lane SPG is just one of a series of published documents dealing with this major development project, others include:
- A Relocation Strategy
- Environmental Statement
- Ecology Mitigation and Compensation Strategy
- Design Code
- Transportation Strategy
- Planning Statement
For further Information please contact:
Telephone: 01268 533333