Search site
Image icon - Apply

Licence - Alcohol and Entertainment - Personal

A personal licence is needed by anyone wishing to supply alcohol or authorise the supply of alcohol in accordance with a Premises Licence.

Applying for a Personal Licence

 A Personal Licence has no expiry date, it will be valid for the holders lifetime unless surrendered  by the holder or revoked by the Magistrates court and it authorises the holder to supply alcohol anywhere in England and Wales in accordance with a Premises Licence or Temporary Event Notice.

An application for a Personal Licence must be made to the Licensing Authority for the area in which the applicant normally resides or, where the applicant has no permanent address, to any Licensing Authority.

Any future application in respect of the Personal Licence, e.g. notification of change of address, or any notification of a subsequent conviction of a relevant offence must be made to the Licensing Authority that first issued the licence.

To apply for a Personal Licence you must:-

  • Be over 18 years of age;
  • Possess an approved licensing qualification, e.g. National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders issued by the BIIAB or equivalent;
  • Not have had a Personal Licence forfeited in the previous 5 years.
  • Must be entitled to work in the United Kingdom.

(The Licensing Authority must reject the application if any of the above criteria are not met).

The applicant must send to the Licensing Authority:-

  • A completed application form,
  • An approved licensing qualification certificate,
  • 2 passport photographs, one of which must be certified as a true likeness.
  • Evidence of their entitlement to work in the United Kingdom.
  • Either a Criminal Conviction Certificate or a Criminal Record Certificate issued under section 112 or 113 of the Police Act 1997 respectively, or the result of a Subject Access Search of the Police National Computer by the National Identification Service.

These may be obtained on-line from the Home Office Disclosure and Barring Service or by contacting Essex Police Data Protection Unit, both websites can be found in the Related Links section below. Alternatively you can telephone Essex Police Data Protection Unit on 01245 491491.

The certificate must have been issued within one calendar month of the date upon which the personal licence application is submitted.

  • A declaration that either you have not been convicted of a relevant offence or an immigration offence, foreign offence or received an immigration penalty. You must supply details of the nature of the offence, date of conviction and any sentence imposed.
  • The appropriate fee - currently £37.00

The Licensing Authority must notify the police if you have been convicted of a relevant or foreign offence. Where the police object to the grant of the licence on the grounds that it would undermine the crime prevention objective, the Licensing Authority must hold a hearing to determine the application.

The Licensing Authority must notify the Home Office if you have been convicted of an immigration offence or received an immigration penalty.

If you need any further information regarding a Personal Licence please contact us, see contact details below.

iCM Form
  1. Label
    1. How should we contact you?:

    2. If you would like to find out more about how Basildon Borough Council use your personal data please go to

    3. Label
Powered by GOSS iCM