Environmental Control - Service Aim
To protect and enhance the environment of the Basildon Borough Council area
Basildon Council's Environmental Health Service delivers a wide range of services aimed at safeguarding the environment and improving the health, safety and wellbeing of our community. These include:
· Pest Control - advice and enforcement
· Control of stray dogs
· Promoting responsible pet management
· Inspection of food businesses - enforcement and advice
· Investigation of complaints about food and food sampling
· Provision of food hygiene training courses.
· Tackling unsatisfactory conditions in private rented accommodation
· Inspection and licensing of houses in multiple occupation
· Detection of overcrowding
· Grants for making repairs, improvements or adaptations to homes
· Advice on tenant harassment or illegal evictions
· Various licensing and registration functions
· Regulating alcohol and entertainment, gambling, taxis, skin piercing, animal establishments and charitable collections.
Occupational Health and Safety
· Inspection of workplaces - enforcement and advice
· Investigation of accidents at work.
· Investigation of complaints about health and safety at work
· Air, land, water pollution monitoring and control.
· Authorisation of industrial processes that discharge to the atmosphere.
· Stopping statutory nuisances
· Rectifying defective private drainage systems
· Investigating food poisoning outbreaks and control of communicable disease
· Promoting public health initiatives
· Enforcement of 'Smoke free Regulations'
Green Business Forum
· Partnership between local businesses and Basildon Council
Promotes environmental awareness and best practice