Notifications To and Inspections by Building Control Officers
Building Regulations require that building works are inspected at certain stages by a surveyor from Basildon Council's Building Control Service.
In order that these inspections can take place, you or your builder, should notify the Council's Building Control Surveyor when building works are at any of the following stages:
- Commencement of work on site
- Excavation of foundations
- Damp-proof course, before laying further bricks
- Preparation for the oversite of concrete, before the concrete is poured
- Drain runs, before backfilling
- Drain runs, after covering and with a water or air test applied
- Timbers for roof/floors, as appropriate
- The occupation of the new work, or part of it
- The completion of the work, make sure you get the completion certificate. The certificate provides proof to Building Societies, Banks & Solicitors that work, so far as can be ascertained from the inspections undertaken, complies with Building Regulations and has been completed to the satisfaction of Basildon Council.
The above list does not mean that the Council's Building Control Inspectors will only make inspections at specific stages. Building Control Inspectors will make additional inspections as work progresses, to ensure that the work complies with Building Regulations.
Notifications to the Building Control Surveyor can be made:
- by telephone to the Building Control Helpdesk - 01268 208026
- by a personal visit to our office in The Basildon Centre - Contact Us
Visits requested before 10.30am will be made the same day.
Do not start work until you have planning permission or have confirmed that planning permission is not necessary.