Age Matters in Basildon
Age Matters promotes the welfare of the elderly in Basildon borough. Age matters constantly evaluates the needs of retired people and where possible seeks to expand the service to fill those needs
Age Matters, formerly Age Concern Basildon, is a registered Charity, established to promote the welfare of older people in the Basildon Borough. We were established in 1993 by retired businessman David Downton and a group of volunteers, in order to prevent older people from social exclusion and to ensure that they have access to the benefit system in a clear and a concise way.
This is an exciting time for all of us at Age Matters (former Age Concern Basildon). We have renamed ourselves to reflect the need to be an independent local charity; to tailor-made services for our older people in the Basildon Borough.
We believe charity begins at home: by supporting us you will be supporting local people. We still have the same dedicated and highly motivated team of staff and volunteers who make endless effort to assist our clients: no matter whether it is finding a reliable handyman to fix their lock on their window; providing guidance with Benefit advice and form filling or by offering friendship to those who are alone.
Last year we had helped more than 1500 people who had called in for advice or service contacts. We are totally committed to help our older people to live a healthy fulfilled and independent life.
Our organization is reliant on grants and donations in order for us to run these services. Your contribution will make a great difference to the lives of the older people.
Visit the Age Matters in Basildon website.
The four main principles of Age Matters are:
- Promoting positive attitudes to older people
- Influencing and developing public policies the affect older people
- Promoting effective care for older people
- Encouraging choice and opportunity for older people.
Basildon Age Matters services to older people include:
- A Befriending Service - maintaining weekly contact with lonely or vulnerable elderly people.
- Insurance cover for people over 50 years of age - Home and contents, Holiday travel, Car and motor breakdown insurance.
- Prepaid funeral plans for peace of mind.
- Aid-Call 24 personal emergency alarm system.
- Age Concern Energy Services - better deals for older people.
- Holidays in the United Kingdom.
- Gardening and handyman service.
- Advice on preparing a last will and testimony.
- Home Support Service - for when it is becoming too difficult to do the housework.
To find out more about our services and how we can help you,
please contact our office at The George Hurd Centre, Audley Way, Basildon.
Phone 01268 534544
Hours 10am - 3pm weekdays.